I'm Laura, and I'm a pre-vet student at Skidmore College planning on majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in art history. Veterinary medicine has intrigued me since I was little but it wasn't until my Biology class in college where I saw myself pursuing medicine as a career. While I've thought about working in human medicine, I am an avid animal lover and enjoy the mystery and journey that veterinary medicine takes you through when you work on a patient who cannot talk or explain their symptoms to you. I am working as a vet tech this summer at three different hospitals and am hoping to shadow other veterinarians who have pursued other paths within veterinary medicine.

This blog incorporates the cases and patients I have seen this summer and what I have learned through the doctors and vet techs I've gotten the privilege to work with. My goal in this blog is to create discussion among people interested and curious about some of the normal, the interesting, and the peculiar aspects of veterinary medicine. So, let's get started

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cat Box

www.smalltalkbigresults.com
Some cats are very docile when in a veterinary practice; they purr and rub up against you.  When they get nervous they meow and try to crawl back into their carrier.  However every once in a while you get that extremely angry cat that wants to rip you to pieces.

A cat came in today who was so angry, he growled any time we walked by his crate.  Anyone who would have stuck their hand into the cat crate would have been shredded alive, so for the doctor to even palpate the cat, we needed to sedate or even anesthetize him.  And so, I was introduced to the "Cat Box."

The cat box is a clear plastic box used by veterinarians when it is too difficult to get near a cat.  The cat is placed into the box.  Oxygen and a gaseous sedative are attached to the box.  When the cat inhales, it is able to get oxygen into their body but also a sedative, which slowly relaxes them into a tranquil state, making it easy for us to work with the cat. 

The cat box is used only on the most vicious cats we see in the practice.  Most veterinarians can say they have used the cat box only a handful of times, but when it is needed, it is a good tool to have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment