I'm Laura, and I'm a pre-vet student at Skidmore College planning on majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in art history. Veterinary medicine has intrigued me since I was little but it wasn't until my Biology class in college where I saw myself pursuing medicine as a career. While I've thought about working in human medicine, I am an avid animal lover and enjoy the mystery and journey that veterinary medicine takes you through when you work on a patient who cannot talk or explain their symptoms to you. I am working as a vet tech this summer at three different hospitals and am hoping to shadow other veterinarians who have pursued other paths within veterinary medicine.

This blog incorporates the cases and patients I have seen this summer and what I have learned through the doctors and vet techs I've gotten the privilege to work with. My goal in this blog is to create discussion among people interested and curious about some of the normal, the interesting, and the peculiar aspects of veterinary medicine. So, let's get started

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Leptospitosis

I encountered a big pink sign on a dog's cage today that said "Lepto Positive, Wear Gloves."  I had heard of Lepto before when my dog was vaccinated for it as a puppy, but this was my first encounter with a dog who was positive for Leptospirosis.

www.healthyandstrong.net
Leptospirosis is actually a spirochetes bacterial organism.  Although most strains of this bacteria live in nature and do no harm the majority of organisms it comes into contact with, there are two strains have been known to cause disease in dogs.  These spirochetes live on rats, wildlife and sometimes domesticated livestock.  When your pet interacts with these animals or their excrement, they become susceptible to the bacteria.

Wildlife that act as carriers for Lepto do not show symptoms, mainly because the bacteria has taken residence in their kidneys.  When they urinate, some of the bacteria will exit the body and contaminate the ground.  If the urine gets washed into a potable water source, your pets can potentially contract the bacteria.  Any bites or wounds from infected wildlife can also yield to the spread of this bacteria.  Pets can even pick up the bacteria by sniffing contaminated urine! 

Although it is something to be aware of, don't fret!  Not all animals that come into contact with the bacteria become infected.  There is a vaccine that can lower the chances of your dog contracting Lepto.  Unvaccinated puppies under six months of age are more likely to contract the most deadly strain of Lepto called L. Grippotyphosa.  The bacteria spreads quickly through the blood stream, releasing a toxin that attacks the liver and kidneys.  This strain can cause liver and kidney damage, which could be life threatening. Although puppies are more susceptible to L. Grippotyphosa, dogs if any age can contract Lepto.

Lepto is difficult to diagnose because the bacteria affects each pet differently.  The most common primary symptoms are fever, depression, stiffness in the joints, abdominal pain, excessive drooling, and vomiting.  It is very common to see a Lepto positive patient walk around with their tummy tucked underneath them because of the abdominal pain.  As the disease progresses, dogs will show symptoms of eye inflammation, red-tinged urine, dehydration, disinterest in hydrating, and nervous ticks.  If the liver is taking a beating, the dog will become jaudice (turn yellow) and sometimes show signs of uremia.  Damage to the liver can sometimes be permanent.

One of the best ways to keep your dog safe from Lepto is through vaccinations, starting when your dog is a puppy.  Most veterinarians recommend getting the first vaccination between 12 and 16 weeks of age.  Your vet will then recommend a yearly booster to make sure your pet is safe from Lepto. 

If you think your dog has Lepto take it to the vets immediately.  Also, remember to stay away from the urine and keep other dogs away from any areas where a Lepto positive dog could have urinated. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much blog admin for this great opportunity to show my gratitude to Dr Itua herbal center who cure my lyme disease completely within 3 three weeks of usage, I was first nervous about the whole stuff until I finally drank his herbal medicine then get tested and see that he real herbal doctor with great herbs knowledge.Dr Itua herbal medicine cures all sorts of illness and disease such as hiv,herpes,cancer,hepatitis,diabetes,lyme and other bacteria infections as well.You can contact dr Itua on email; drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or visit his website for more information.Dr Itua did not know that I'm doing this but I think the only way for me to show my gratitude is to heal the world with his herbal knowledge through his goodness.
    Thank you once again blog admin.

    ReplyDelete