I'm Laura, and I'm a pre-vet student at Skidmore College planning on majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in art history. Veterinary medicine has intrigued me since I was little but it wasn't until my Biology class in college where I saw myself pursuing medicine as a career. While I've thought about working in human medicine, I am an avid animal lover and enjoy the mystery and journey that veterinary medicine takes you through when you work on a patient who cannot talk or explain their symptoms to you. I am working as a vet tech this summer at three different hospitals and am hoping to shadow other veterinarians who have pursued other paths within veterinary medicine.

This blog incorporates the cases and patients I have seen this summer and what I have learned through the doctors and vet techs I've gotten the privilege to work with. My goal in this blog is to create discussion among people interested and curious about some of the normal, the interesting, and the peculiar aspects of veterinary medicine. So, let's get started

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Foxtail [1]

A yellow lab came in because she began to sneeze constantly during a hike.  The doctors suspected it was a possible foxtail in the nose.

Anyone from the Bay Area knows what a foxtail is. These pesky seed dispersers tend to find there way up the noses, down the ears, in between toes and pads, and through the skin of our canine friends. 
www.petlane.wordpress.com 

This yellow lab, unfortunately had sniffed the foxtail into his nose and was sneezing up a storm!  Unlike other seeds that attach themselves to the coats of animals and eventually fall off or get matted in their fur, foxtails bury themselves deep into an animal's tissue.  Their jagged barbs help them to navigate deep into an animal and it can be quite uncomfortable!

The only way to diagnose a foxtail is to find one.  Most dogs will not hold still long enough for a doctor to stick the otoscope down their nose, let alone explore all of the nasal passages until successful.  So, dogs in general, need to be sedated for a rhinoscopy.  Either a doctor or registered vet technician will go into the nose with a illuminated otoscope.  They will look for either swelling or inflammation.  Usually around an inflamed area, a brownish foxtail will be sticking out.  With alligator forceps, the doctors will pull it out. 

Its an easy procedure but foxtails can definitely be a pain in the butt.  If you ever see a foxtail on your dog, make sure to pull it off before they bury themselves into the skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment