I'm Laura, and I'm a pre-vet student at Skidmore College planning on majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in art history. Veterinary medicine has intrigued me since I was little but it wasn't until my Biology class in college where I saw myself pursuing medicine as a career. While I've thought about working in human medicine, I am an avid animal lover and enjoy the mystery and journey that veterinary medicine takes you through when you work on a patient who cannot talk or explain their symptoms to you. I am working as a vet tech this summer at three different hospitals and am hoping to shadow other veterinarians who have pursued other paths within veterinary medicine.

This blog incorporates the cases and patients I have seen this summer and what I have learned through the doctors and vet techs I've gotten the privilege to work with. My goal in this blog is to create discussion among people interested and curious about some of the normal, the interesting, and the peculiar aspects of veterinary medicine. So, let's get started

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pneumoperitoneum

A cat came in today with trouble breathing.  The cat was immediately placed into an oxygen tank, however that did not seem to work.  An ultrasound was completed and it was confirmed that there was air in the abdomen.  This condition is called Pneumoperitoneum.

Pneumoperitoneum is defined as air or gas in the abdominal cavity.  When there is air in the abdominal cavity, it pushes against the lungs, making it difficult for the lungs to expand with each breath of air.  If enough air gets into the abdominal cavity, the patient could suffocate.

To help this cat, we used an ultrasound to find pockets of air in the abdomen.  The doctor inserted a butterfly needle into the pocket of air and a nurse on the other end of the butterfly would pull on the syringe to see if air would come out.  The trick with this procedure though is to release when you feel negative pressure on the needle.  You can't pull against something that is not there.  Once you hit that negative pressure, the doctor will move the needle to a new air pocket.

This procedure is only temporary.  Somehow, the air got into the abdomen and taking it out won't solve the overall problem.  It was believed that there was a hole in the cat's lung; when the cat took a breath, a little bit of air was able to escape from the hole and into the abdomen.  It was determined that the hole was too big to be repaired on its own.  Instead, the cat was scheduled for a lobectomy to remove the lung lobe with the hole in it.  Removing the lobe with the hole will hopefully help the cat's breathing. 

Because of the severity of the pneumoperitoneum, the cat did not make it to surgery.  Air was filling the abdomen quicker than we could remove it, making each breath extremely difficult and painful.  The cat was euthanized

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    What a wonderful idea! I know from my experiences in law school that we always excel in our passions, and you are certainly passionate about becoming a veterinarian doctor. I enjoy reading your stories. I feel sorry for that cat, but I think it shows strong moral and emotional maturity to confront these difficult realities. You are certainly on your way to being a well rounded doctor. I look forward to taking my Buster to you for a check-up. -Pat

    ReplyDelete